Mount Carmel College was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1942. The Sisters of Charity were the first group of women Religious to come to Australia in 1838 and to Tasmania in 1847. Their focus from the beginning was to improve educational opportunities, especially for young women; a focus which continues today at the College. “Little Mount Carmel” began in a house in View Street, Sandy Bay, and transferred to “Lauramont” on its present beautiful site overlooking the Derwent River, in 1947.
Ten years later St. Joseph’s closed and secondary classes were transferred to Mount Carmel which developed into a Preparatory to Grade 12 College. Large building programmes in the 1960s and the 1980s saw the College continue to expand and develop its resources and specialist facilities.With the establishment of Guilford Young College for senior secondary students, Mount Carmel became a Preparatory to Grade 10 College from 1994.
In 1997 a Kindergarten was opened and in 1998 the College entered a new phase in its history with the appointment of the first lay Principal. Major building works have continued in the late nineties until the present time.
These works include the creation of a meeting room and toilet renovation in the Lauramont building (2000), the refurbishment of the primary toilets (2000,) refurbishment of the Science Laboratories and the creation of a sacred space (2001), the purchase and renovation of the former Convent, now known as Providence House (February, 2002), the refurbishment of primary classrooms (2003), the refurbishment of secondary classrooms (January, 2004), the creation of the Arts Technology building (completed February, 2004), resurfacing of the tennis court area and the most recent project, the Library and Classroom redevelopment (completed August, 2005) and the Primary Classroom Refurbishment (completed in 2008).
2009 was another very busy year. The Performing Arts Centre Redevelopment (Music and Drama) was completed and the students took up residence in the Drama Studio and the new Music Room and smaller Music studios.
Work was also completed on the refurbishment of the secondary undercroft area. This project created a light and bright area which is used as a flexible learning space, assembly area, shade area and a refuge from the cold and wind.
At the end of November, the Food and Textiles Rooms were vacated to allow for construction to commence on the Trade Training Centre refurbishment which has resulted in the creation of a commercial kitchen bay in our domestic kitchen.
Work on the construction of one new classroom and the redevelopment of the whole of the ground floor of the Primary block, creating three good-sized classrooms, commenced in early January, 2010.
The completion of this project allowed the relocation of one Grade Six class which had occupied the ‘white house’ and the refurbishment of the ‘white house’ for Learning Support. The netball court was also resurfaced and a covered way linking the buildings on Quorn Street with the rest of the College was also completed.
The College continues to work in line with its Capital Development Plan to ensure that our students are provided with the best possible learning environment.